Bookmark this page: www.oecd.org/dac/poverty/empowerment
To reach the Millennium Development Goals and overcome the effects of the multiple global crises, economic growth needs to have a greater impact on poverty reduction. Poor people’s empowerment secures their rights and drives pro-poor growth. This short Policy Statement on the role of Empowerment provides key messages and donor good practice.
The Task Team on Empowerment has produced more in depth policy guidance on empowerment in a new publication - Poverty Reduction and Pro-Poor Growth: The Role of Empowerment. The guidance synthesises lessons from experience and highlights evidence from the latest research on empowerment and pro-poor growth.
This work is also available for download as stand alone files (.pdf) below.
Policy Guidance Note. The Role of Empowerment for Poverty Reduction and Growth
Economic growth needs to have a greater impact on poverty reduction if the Milliennium Development Goals are to be met and the effects of the multiple global crises overcome. The empowerment of poor people secures their rights and drives pro-poor growth. This note explains how donors can help.
Good Practice Notes
1. Empowerment of poor rural people through initiatives in agriculture and natural resource management
2. Women's economic empowerment
3. Empowerment through local citizenship
4. Empowerment in fragile states and situations of fragility
5. Decent work and empowerment for pro-poor growth
6. Legal empowerment of the poor and its relation to pro-poor growth
7. Empowerment and equity
8. Working with social movements
9. Monitoring and evaluating empowerment processes
10. Empowerment sustainability and phasing out support to empowerment processes
Readers can also consult a series of stories of empowerment that provides evidence of how donors can support empowerment in practice and captures recent, real-world experiences from development co-operation.
Stories of empowerment
Thematic guidance: Promoting poverty reduction through economic growth
Women’s economic empowerment