'At Issue' papers:
“Do discriminatory social institutions matter for food security?”, February 2012
In view of the 2012 United Nations Commission on the Status of Women’s thematic focus on rural women’s empowerment, the gender team at the OECD Development Centre has launched an issues paper, where it is found that discrimination against women in accessing resources bears a significant relationship with agricultural production and food security. Understanding how these discriminatory social institutions affect rural women and agricultural production is critical for enhancing aid effectiveness and the design of targeted policies to address rural women’s inequality, poverty and food insecurity.
"Gender Inequality and the MDGs: What are the Missing Dimensions?", September 2010
As world leaders met in New York in September 2010 to review progress towards the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) there was an opportunity to reorient and re-energise global efforts to meet these important targets. While there has been significant progress in some areas, ongoing gender inequality continues to hamper momentum on all the goals, not just MDG 3. Furthermore, there is growing recognition that MDG 3 is too narrow and fails to capture the full range of gender inequalities, and there has also been a failure to adequately recognise the gender dimensions in several of the other MDG targets.
- OECD (2010), Atlas of Gender and Development: How Social Norms Affect Gender Equality in Non-OECD Countries, OECD Publishing. This new resource combines country and regional analysis with rankings based on the Development Centre’s Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI).
- Development Centre Working Paper No. 247: Measuring Gender (In)Equality - Introducing the Gender, Institutions and Development Data Base, March 2006
- Development Centre Policy Insight No. 16: The Gender, Institutions and Development Data Base (GID-DB), March 2006
- Development Centre Policy Insight No. 15: Culture, Gender and Growth, March 2006
- Development Centre Policy Brief No. 27: Changing Social Institutions to Improve the Status of Women in Developing Countries, July 2005
- Development Centre Working Paper 235: La condition des femmes en Inde, Kenya, Soudan et Tunisie, March 2004
- Development Centre Working Paper 234: The Impact of Social Institutions on the Economic Role of Women in Developing Countries, March 2004
- Development Centre Working Paper 255: Structures familiales, transferts et épargne, September 2006