Hosted by IrishAid, the 2009 Annual Meeting of the DevCom Network took place 8-10 November in Dublin, Ireland. The key theme this year was Communicating Development in an Economic Downturn.
Keynote speakers opening the conference were: Dr. Dambisa Moyo - economist and author of “Dead Aid: Why Aid is Not Working and How There is a Better Way For Africa”; and Simon Maxwell - senior research associate of the Overseas Development Institute (ODI), London. The keynote speakers addressed the Africa Progress Panel 2009 Annual Report and shared their ideas on the needs and challenges of communicating development issues to stakeholders in OECD and African countries.
Wide range of current issues was tackled during this year's DevCom Annual Meeting:
- implications for communication specialists arising from the economic crisis;
- recent research projects on public attitudes towards development;
- monitoring the impact of communicatons;
- various approaches in engaging the public;
- use of new technologies and social media in development communication;
- communicating for and about development results.
Below are the presentations from the 2009 DevCom Annual Meeting (click on titles to download):
Presentations Day 1
Engaging the Public
Presentations Day 2