26-27 January 2012 - Bangkok, Thailand
Co-organised by the OECD and the Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) Thailand, the agenda was based on the recognition that the ongoing global economic and financial crisis created a need for further transparency in insurance statistics.
Discussion topics included:
The seminar gathered about 100 delegates from 13 countries, comprising, particularly from the Asian region, supervisory authorities, practitioners, statistical experts and insurance analysts. Speakers were prominent representatives of supervisory authorities and central banks, as well as experts and researchers in the field of insurance monitoring and statistics. Key policymakers from various Thai authorities, representatives from the private sector in Thailand, members of the OECD, renowned research institutions and international organisations.
This seminar was the second in a series which seeks to raise awareness on insurance sector monitoring; insurance statistics; to identify gaps and inconsistencies in insurance statistics; and to improve transparency in order to help markets become more competitive and efficient, particularly in the Asian region.
This event was sponsored by the Government of Japan.
Session I. Enhancing transparency and monitoring of the insurance industry and the way forward
Moderator: Mr. Sivam Subramaniam, Editor-in-Chief, Asia Insurance Review & Middle East Insurance Review
• Mr. Timothy Bishop, Senior Expert in Finance and Insurance, OECD, and Mr. Jean-Marc Salou, Lead Statistician in Insurance and Private Pensions Statistics, OECD
• Mr. Sebastian von Dahlen, Principal Administrator and Senior Insurance Sector Expert, IAIS
• Mr. Jeremy Hoon, Insurance Partner, KPMG Singapore
• Mr. Arup Chatterjee, Senior Financial Sector Specialist, Office of Regional Economic Integration, Asian Development Bank
Session II. General developments and trends in the insurance sector in Asia
Moderator: Mr. Arup Chatterjee, Senior Financial Sector Specialist, Office of Regional Economic Integration, Asian Development Bank
• Mr. Sivam Subramaniam, Editor-in-Chief, Asia Insurance Review & Middle East Insurance Review
• Forward-looking perspectives from the industry:
Session III. Selected country experiences with respect to monitoring of the insurance industry
Moderator: Mr. Jean-Marc Salou, Lead Statistician in Insurance and Private Pension Statistics, OECD
Presentations from various countries in the region on their national insurance statistics framework, surveillance efforts and/or on their efforts for improving statistical infrastructure and systems for insurance statistics:
Discussant: Mr. Jean Kwon, Faculty Chair, The School of Risk Management, St. John’s University, United States
Session IV. Comparative review of insurance statistics in the region
Moderator: Mr. Timothy Bishop, Senior Expert in Finance and Insurance
- OECD Global Insurance Statistics’ framework: progress report, results from the data collection pilot exercise for selected Asian countries, results of stocktaking of other existing international exercises (Room document No. 1) and the way forward: Mr. Jean-Marc Salou, Lead Statistician, Insurance and Private Pension Statistics, OECD
- Preliminary results from country survey on data availability of Insurance Statistics in the region (Room document No. 2): Mr. W. Jean Kwon, Faculty Chair, The School of Risk Management, St. John’s University, United States
Session V. Measurement of systemic risk, stress testing and other challenges in insurance statistics
Moderator: Mr. Sebastian von Dahlen, Principal Administrator and Senior Insurance Sector Expert, IAIS