2 Dec 2013, Oman - The 3rd meeting of the OECD Taskforce of MENA Stock Exchanges for Corporate Governance will be hosted by the Muscat Securities Market and the Capital Markets Authority of Oman. Download the agenda for further information. To register for the meeting, please contact Katrina Baker (Katrina.Baker@oecd.org).
21 Oct 2013 - SOEs in the Middle East and North Africa: Engines of Development and Competitiveness? - SOEs are an important feature of the economic landscape in the MENA region. This report examines their contribution to industrial development, diversification, poverty elimination and the provision of goods and services and makes recommendations based on these observations.
The MENA-OECD Working Group on Corporate Governance was launched in 2005 in order to provide a platform for discussing corporate governance priorities in the MENA region, sharing best practices and evaluating their implementation. It is comprised of representatives of regional securities regulators, central banks, stock exchanges, ministries of Finance and Economy as well as other public and private sector actors interested in further promoting corporate governance in the region.
Three regional taskforces have been formed under the umbrella of this Working Group to address specific challenges:
- Taskforce on Corporate Governance of Banks
- Taskforce on Corporate Governance of State-Owned Enterprises
- Taskforce of MENA Stock Exchanges for Corporate Governance
These taskforces provide unique and specialised venues for peer dialogue, research and sharing of good practices.
In addition, the Working Group provides country-specific advice and assistance. Over the past years, the OECD has provided on request technical input in a number of important regional initiatives such as the introduction of corporate governance codes and other support to securities regulators. We also collaborate actively with the private sector and have recently established the MENA Investor Council composed of key portfolio investors to address challenges related to attracting long term investment to the region.
- SOEs in the Middle East and North Africa: Engines of Development and Competitiveness?, 2013
- The Role of MENA Stock Exchanges in Corporate Governance, 2012
- Towards New Arrangements for State Ownership in the Middle East and North Africa, 2012
- MENA Corporate Governance Survey 2011
- Final statement from the 6th Annual Regional Corporate Governance Conference, 1 November 2011, Dubai
- The Second Corporate Wave in the Middle East and North Africa, 7 February 2011
- Muscat Declaration on Corporate Governance, 1 November 2010
- Concept Note for “Turning the Page: Towards New Arrangements for State Ownership in the Middle East and North Africa”
- Policy Brief on Corporate Governance in Banks [ Arabic ], November 2009
Towards New Arrangements for State Ownership in the Middle East and North Africa
The Role of MENA Stock Exchanges in Corporate Governance
Union of Arab Banks
Union of Arab Stock Exchanges
GCC Board Directors Institute