The 2008 Accra Agenda for Action (2008) contains 16 different passages on capacity development, which can be grouped into six operational themes.
- Technical co-operation: Work towards demand-driven technical co-operation and promote the use of local and regional resources, including South-South arrangements
- Fragile situations: Tailor, phase and co-ordinate capacity building and development in situations of fragility, including countries emerging from conflict
- National, sector, and thematic strategies: Ensure integration of capacity development priorities in relevant national, sub-national, sector and thematic strategies
- Country systems: Assess, strengthen and promote use of country systems to implement policies and manage public resources, including procurement, financial management, results, statistics and information systems
- Civil society and private sector: Enable local civil society and the private sector to play their capacity role.
- Enabling environment: Address systemic impediments to local capacity development
Paris Declaration and Accra Agenda for Action