"Environment for Europe" Ministerial Conference - OECD Contribution
Environment Ministers from 55 countries from Europe, North America, the Caucasus and Central Asia accepted the invitation of the Ukrainian Prime Minister to meet in Kyiv from 21st to 23rd May at the fifth of a series of Ministerial Conferences held as part of the "Environment for Europe" process. The Ministerial meeting in Kiev set the agenda for environmental policies and cooperation in the region in the coming years.
The Deputy Secretary General Ms. Berglind ÁSGEIRSDÓTTIR led the OECD delegation which brought to the Ministers the results of the last three years' programme of co-operation with the countries of Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia (EECCA). This co-operation, carried out within the framework of the EAP Task Force, has focused on developing more effective instruments for environmental policies and better enforcement, strengthening countries capacities and developing tools for environmental finance and strengthening operation and performance of water supply and sanitation sector.
The Kiev Ministerial meeting determined the future work programme to be carried out in the areas of work currently covered by the Task Force to support the proposed "Environmental Partnership: Environmental Strategy for EECCA countries". The activities proposed in the area of urban water sector reform would also support implementation of the EU Global Water Initiative.
For more information, see also:
- Progress in Implementing the EAP Task Force Sub-programme for EECCA, 2000-2003 (in English and Russian)
- Reforming Environmental Policies and Institutions in EECCA: Highlights of the Main Activites Implemented by the EAP Task Force from 2000 to 2003 (in English and Russian)
- Trends in Environmental Expenditure and International Commitments for the Environment in Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia, 1996-2001 (in English and Russian )
- Financing Environmental Protection in Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia (EECCA): Background Report (in English and Russian )
- Environmental Financing in Transition Economies (in English and Russian )
- Good Practices of Public Environmental Expenditure Management in Transition Economies (in English and Russian )
- Urban Water Reform in Eastern Europe, Caucasus And Central Asia: Progress Since the Almaty Ministerial Conference (in English and Russian )
- Guiding Principles for Reform of Environmental Enforcement Authorities in Transition Economies of Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia (in English and Russian )
- Developing Effective Packages of Environmental Policy Instruments in Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia: Experience and Directions for Reform (in English and Russian )
- Progress in Implementation of the Aarhus Policy Statement on Environmental Management in Enterprises in Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia (in English and Russian)
- Environmental partnership in the UN ECE region: Environment strategy for countries of EECCA (in English and Russian).