Checklist of issues


Checklist of issues to deal with once you accept  your contract and before leaving your country

Visa (if you or your family do not hold EU nationality)

Non-European citizens must obtain a long-stay Visa (“D” Visa, “Carte PROMAE”) before coming to France. This Visa can only be obtained from the French Consulate or Embassy of your country of residence. It is imperative that you do not leave your country without this visa, which is mandatory in order to obtain your Special residence permit in France (“Titre de Séjour Spécial (TSS)”). The procedure at the Consulate takes around 3 weeks and your passport will be retained by the Consulate/Embassy while this process is completed.

To assist you in obtaining this visa, the Office of Diplomatic Immunities and Privileges (BIPD) of the OECD will communicate your details to the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The Ministry will then confirm to the Consulate/Embassy of your country of residence that they may issue you with the visa. You will need to provide the Office of Diplomatic Immunities and Privileges of the OECD ( with the following details:

  • Photocopy of your passport (and those of all members of your family who will accompany you to France)
  • Your home address in your country of residence, your telephone number and your e-mail address.

The BIPD will then give you an indication of when you should be able to make your first appointment with the Consulate/Embassy in your country of residence.

Upon your arrival in France, the BIPD will assist you in the application for a Special Residence Permit. 

You should note that this Special Permit has certain implications and excludes the right to work in France (except in Embassies or international organisations, the OECD, etc.) For this reason, should your spouse/partner intend to seek work in France (elsewhere than the OECD, etc.) , s/he should explain to the consulate that s/he is accompanying you and intends to seek work in France.

Medical examination

Fill out the medical questionnaire and carry out the necessary medical tests and send the questionnaire and results to the OECD Medical Service. Please remember that you are not authorised to take up duty until your complete medical file has been received and reviewed by the OECD Medical Officer. You will receive an email from your CSG (Client Services Group) contact as soon as this is the case.


Organise your own move and provide original bills for reimbursement on taking up duty (within the ceiling indicated in your offer letter). You may like to find a company on this website:


Arrange travel for you and your family according to:

Option A – prepaid tickets : contact the Client Services Group * to indicate airport of departure, names of travellers (with birthdates) and date of travel.

Option B - receive a lump sum on taking up duty.

Please note that if you are married with no dependent children, travel will only be paid for your spouse if you will be entitled to the household allowance (i.e. your spouse will not be working or is earning an amount below a certain ceiling).

Money matters

  • Initial expenses

You should ensure that you have enough money to cover your initial expenses in Paris. If you are entitled to the installation allowance, it will be paid to you shortly after you take up duty once you have provided bank references to your CSG contact.

  • Opening a bank account

You will need to open a bank account in France for deposit of your salary.

Crédit du Nord ( is located in the centre of Paris (in the 8th arrondissement). You may pre-open your bank account by providing a copy of your passport and offer letter. Contact for more information.

Société Générale (a French bank) has a branch onsite at the OECD (in the Marshall Building).  If you wish, you may open a bank account prior to your arrival by sending to the Société Générale (E-mail: a copy of your offer letter along with a copy of your passport.

Your driving license

Non-Europeans should check the validity of their license before coming to France. There is no need to exchange your driving license so long as:

  • you hold a valid Special residence permit issued by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs (which BIPD will help you to request when you arrive in France to replace your PROMAE visa
  • your national license remains valid for the duration of your functions at the OECD. If your license will expire, do think of renewing it before you come to France.


The BIPD (the OECD Bureau of Immunities and Privileges) will provide you with an attestation. This attestation will enable you to drive in France with your National license during your functions. You will be asked to send BIPD a copy of your license with a translation into French. BIPD can provide the translation of your license if it is written in English or Spanish.

If you hold a European license, you may drive with this national licence during your stay in France. However, should the license expire during your stay in France, you would have to request a French license and deal with this yourself through the Préfecture de Police.

Transferring previous pension rights

According to the Rules and Instructions of the Pension Scheme, it may be possible for you, under certain conditions, to buy back pension rights acquired previously from the OECD or another Co-ordinated Organisation or to transfer pension rights from other Administrations or Organisations.

Any decision concerning such possibilities has to be made shortly after taking up duty. If you are interested, please contact the Client Services Group *.


* Client Services Group
E-mail : - Fax : 33-1-44 30 62 00


Related Documents